moreldei

dei reads

Hi. I like to sleep and spend the rest of my time reading, watching anime or fangirling over korean pop bands.

City of Bones

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare I've been contemplating for a long time whether to starts this series or not. Avoiding it for the reason that many of the people here whose reviews I follow gave it a one star and harsh reviews. As for the wanting, I wanna understand the hype and simple because polandbananasbooks really loves this series and I want to be able to get along with her hyper and fun booktalks. lol

The book was entertaining and funny.. I really liked it. But reading it felt like I'm just reading a fanfiction I spotted online rather than a book, because of the word selection and with some sentence structures. (Well it was originally an HP fanfic, right? --- That makes sense.)

There were so many things going on at once, that eventually ended up like a giant ball of events randomly thrown in to have teenagers be given what they want (vampires, werewolves, angels, magic, monsters, etc.), so that the book would sell. City of Bones was simply telling me a story; it failed to show me the story. As a reader, I believe a book is good if the awesome world it has built can be shown to me through its words and good descriptive writing. I need to be able to visualize it well to fully enjoy it.

3 stars because I heard the succeeding books are much better, so I'm saving the 4 stars for them, given that the claims were true.